Popular Post

Saturday, October 17, 2009

Methodology

I am a collector of methods. I like finding new ways to do the simple operations and neat new ways to look at mathematics. I do not feel these methods should be shown to students.

Teach one method. I am in favor of the algorithms that I grew up with. Old fuddy-duddy? Maybe. Tough. The old ways work. The old ways are usually simpler and easier to use.

Think subtraction. 759-384. Do it your way. Now try to follow this.

Why are we bothering to re-invent this wheel?  Isn't one way sufficient for the students?  I feel we should wait until they have completely understood one method before we confuse them with "Other" possibilities.  If a student comes up with this on his own, great. 

Sheesh.  No wonder kids get confused if this is what they're taught.
h/t to parentalcation

No comments:

Post a Comment